Tomas Bachot (1989, Belgium) is an artist who shapes intimate languages using photography, video, text and installations. His inspiration derives from everyday stories told by strangers, friends and family. He often works in collaboration with others. Themes he explores are the subjectivity of documentary photography, the dreams and fears created by the discovery of a black hole in his garden, the life of middle-class expats and the unseen photo-voices of Syria.
Bachot completed a Master in Visual Arts from KASK School of Arts, Ghent in 2016 and a Bachelor in Journalism from AP University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Antwerp in 2010.
Bachot lives and works in Antwerp, Belgium. Besides his personal practice, he coordinates de Facktorij, an art collective in Zoersel, which is home for a diverse group of artists. In their shared atelier the artists meet, support and inspire each other. Together they build and extend their creative capabilities and identity.
︎ ︎ ︎
- Sense of Place, Watou Arts Festival 2022 with Roland Deketelaere, Poperinge, 2/07/`22-4/09/`22
- Jardin de Fair, with collective de Facktorij, Dr. Guislain, Ghent, 1/10-31/10/’21
- Reclaim Award, Cologne, Germany, 21/08-30/08/’21
- Onboards Biennale, Antwerp, 28/06-25/07/’21
- Syria 2.0, Camera, Centrul de Interes, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 11/09-15/10/’20
- Macht-Onmacht, Zoersel, 11/05-26/05/’19
- Riga Photomonth, Open-air projection, Riga, Latvia, 15/05/’19
- Working Title 2, Magma Contemporary Art Space, Sfântu Gheorghe, Romania, 7/07-19/08/’18
- Land van Fotografie, Ghent, 11/11/’17
- Kunst in Huis @ 80 days of Summer, Sint-Pieters Abdij , Ghent, 30/06-30/08/’17
- Photobookshow, St Petersburg, Russia, 18/08-20/08/’17
- Athens Photo Festival - Photobook Show, Greece, 14/06-30/07/’17
- Solo-exhibition, 16 locations in Flanders, 2015-2017
- Book Tour supported by the Romanian Cultural Institute, Apuseni Mountains, Romania, 12/11-12/12/’16
- In/Out Transylvania Photo Festival, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 27/10-06/11/’16
- .tiff 2016, FOMU Antwerp, 07/10-07/12/’16
- Gazebook Sicily Photobook Festival, Sicily, Italy, 10/09/’16
- MAP#47, KASK/School of Arts, Ghent, 30/05 - 05/06/’16
Awards & Grants
Somes Expus 2018, FabHub 2017, tiff 2016, DOC*Werk, ICR Grant for Foreign Cultural Journalists 2016, 1st prize De Donkere Kamer #26
British Journal of Photography, GUP, Ain't Bad, L’Oeil de la Photographie, Workshopx, Musée Magazine, VICE, MONU, Splash & Grab, It's Nice That, Lenscratch, Bird In Flight, Art Narratives, Radio 1, De Standaard, De Morgen ...
Patchwork, Watou Arts Festival, 2021
Kunst in Huis
Anna Luyten, .tiff
Jessie Bond, Splash & Grab
Gabriel Marian, Nano Gallery
Odo Hans, Reclaim Award